This is a subject near and dear to me because I was just recently diagnosed with HCV (hepititas C virus). This is a disease of the blood transmitted through contact with infected blood that makes its way into another person a number of ways such as, using the toothbrush of an infected person, or visiting a medical of dental facility that may not keep their tools sterilized as well as they should, or as simple as getting infected blood on your skin and it makes its way into your bloodstream through a unnoticed cut or scratch on your skin.
Anyone that recieved a blood transfusion before 1992, could be at risk of being infected with transfused blood. Donated blood was not tested for this virus until 1992 and there could be countless numbers of persons out there that could have been, not unlike myself, that recieved infected blood during a life saving procedure.
I was 12 years old, 1964, close to death and required a blood transfusion in the process of saving my life. It is a very silent disease and the symptoms are so common place and vague that it doesn't send out any red flags. It has been called the "silent killer". I am not angry by this, if not for that blood I would have not been here now and things would be so very different in so many ways. I am thankful that it saved my life and helped give me the years I have had and hope to have.
I would like to hear from others in a similar situation and share thought, treatment ideas, set up a support system of sorts.
As my treatment progresses I will use this outlet to give my thoughts on the process of treating this virus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment